1900 – 1930s
In 1902, the first acres of land 1 are purchased at the edge of San Luis Obispo, along the Southern Pacific Railroad. The site features prime agricultural land and access to water. The first buildings 2 are designed for a high school age co-educational student body, enrolled in two- and three-year vocational programs in agriculture, mechanics and household arts. The majority of the buildings are agricultural, as well as labs and workspaces for students to practice hands-on learning. Enrollment and campus growth slows. By 1930, only men are enrolled, and women’s dorms and classrooms are repurposed.